Can I Adopt?
Heaven Sent Children have very few requirements, but most countries have their own policies regarding the age and marital status of adoptive applicants. Some are open to single applicants, while others prefer married couples.
In some countries, requirements may focus on the number of children already in the home or the income of the family. Other countries may consider you too young or too old to pursue adoption. If you are uncertain whether you meet the requirements of a specific country, please ask your Adoption Counselor whether you meet the criteria of an adoptive applicant for that program.
- Heaven Sent Children requires that adoptive applicants be between 21-50 years of age. Foreign countries will require that applicants over 50 years of age be open to adopting an older child.
- Couples should be married at least two years before beginning the adoption process.
- Single applicants should be heterosexual and have a contingency plan for their child in the event that they are unable to raise the child to maturity.
- The youngest child in the home should be at least 12 months of age. If the last child joining the family was adopted, the child must be in the home at least 12 months before proceeding with a new adoption.
- To be considered for placement through Heaven Sent Children, our agency must complete the home study investigation.
How Do I Choose a Program?
There are so many decisions to make before you even reach this point, attending an adoption seminar can help in this process. Many families must first decide that adoption is a good choice for starting or adding to their family. Then families must weigh their options of domestic versus international adoption. Now, finally you have to decide which program is best for your family. Here are some things to consider in choosing a country.
- Do you want to adopt an infant or are you open to a toddler or an older child?
- Do you have a gender preference?
- Are you wishing to adopt a child of a specific race/culture?
- Do you have the ability to travel to another state/country to adopt your child?
- How long will you be able to stay in that state/country to complete the adoption process?
- What financial and other resources do I bring to the adoption process?
- How long am I willing to wait for the placement of a child?
If you have any questions or problems, please call and we will help walk you through the application process.
Education & Info
Adoption Exchange: adoptex.org/
Adoption Learning Partners: adoptionlearningpartners.org/index.cfm
Adoption Today: adoptinfo.net/
Adoptive Families: adoptivefamilies.com/
Center for Adoption Support and Education: adoptionsupport.org/
Child Welfare Information Gateway: childwelfare.gov/
Child Welfare League of America: cwla.org/
Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption: davethomasfoundation.org/
Empowered to Connect: empoweredtoconnect.org/
International Adoption Clinic at the University of Minnesota: adoption.umn.edu/
Kid Central Tennessee - Child Development: kidcentraltn.com
MOFAS Minnesota Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: mofas.org/
National Adoption Center: adopt.org/
National Council for Adoption: adoptioncouncil.org/
National Embryo Donation Center: embryodonation.org/
NightLight Embryo Adoption: nightlight.org/
Rainbow Kids: rainbowkids.com/
Regional Intervention Program (RIP): ripnetwork.org/
Spoon Foundation on Adoption Nutrition: adoptionnutrition.org/
Tapestry Books: tapestrybooks.com/
Tennessee Early Intervention System: tennessee.gov/education/topic/tennessee-early-intervention-system-teis
Vanderbilt International Adoption Clinic: childrenshospital.vanderbilt.org/services.php?mid=259
Fundraising & Grants
Abba Fund: abbafund.org/
Adopt Together: adopttogether.org/
Both Hands Foundation: bothhandsfoundation.org/
Brittany’s Hope: brittanyshope.org/
Buescher Foundation: thebuescherfoundation.org/
Ephesians 3:20 Foundation: eph320foundation.org/apply.htm
Families Outreach: familiesoutreach.org/adoption-grant-program/
Gift of Adoption Fund: giftofadoption.org/
Give Forward: giveforward.com/cause/raise-money-for-adoption
God’s Grace Adoption Ministry: ggam.org/
Hand In Hand Christian Adoption: handinhandadopt.org/
Hands of Hope: handsofhopein.org/Adoption-Assistance_d54837c9e65b.html
Help Us Adopt Grants: helpusadopt.org/
JSC Foundation: jscfoundation.org/
Just Love Coffee: justlovecoffee.com/
Katelyn’s Fund: katelynsfund.org/
Lifesong for Orphans: lifesongfororphans.org/adoption-funding/adoption-grants/
Never Alone Foundation: laurelsmessage.org/what-we-do/funding-programs/
Parenthood for Me: parenthoodforme.org/
Reece’s Rainbow: reecesrainbow.org/new-family/financing-your-adoption
Salvation International: salvationinternational.org/Application.php
Scarlet Threads: scarletthreads.org/
Show Hope: showhope.org/
You Caring Compassionate Crowdfunding: youcaring.com/blog/2015/join-the-youcaring-adoption-support-community